Honglan Shi, Ph.D.
A) Professional Preparation
Zhengzhou University, P. R. China Chemistry B.S., 1981
Iowa State University, Ames, IA Biochemistry M.S., 1990
Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO Chemistry Ph.D., 2010
01/13—present Associate Res. Professor, Department of Chemistry, Missouri S&T
01/11—present Sr. Investigator, Environmental Res. Center, Missouri S&T
01/11 – 01/13 Assistant Res. Professor, Department of Chemistry, Missouri S&T.
12/05 – 01/11 Research Chemist, Environmental Research Center (ERC), Missouri S&T.
10/06 – 01/11 Investigator, Environmental Research Center, Missouri University S&T.
07/01 – 12/05 Res. Chemist, Center for Environmental Science and Technology, Missouri S&T.
05/93 – 06/01 Research Associate & Senior Instrumentation Manager, Division of Science, Truman State University,
10/91 - 04/93 Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kirksville,
09/90 –12/90 Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
01/88 – 08/90 Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
01/83 – 07/86 Lecturer, Public Health Department, Henan Medical University, China 01/82 – 01/83 Instructor, Medical
Department, Henan Medical University, China
Five Products Related to the Proposed Project
- Honglan Shi; Adams, C. Rapid IC-ICP/MS method for simultaneous analysis of iodoacetic acids, bromoacetic acids, bromate, and other related halogenated compounds in water, Talanta, 2009, 79, 523-527
- Honglan Shi; Witt, E; Shu, S; Su, T; Wang, J; Adams, C. Toxic trace element assessment for soils/sediments deposited during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita from southern Louisiana: A sequential extraction analysis, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 2010, 29, 1419-1428.
- Wang, C; Honglan Shi; Adams, C; Gamagedara, S; Stayton, I; Timmons, T; Ma, Y. Investigation of pharmaceuticals in Missouri natural and drinking water using high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry”, Water Research, 2011, 45, 1818-1828.
- Wu, Q; Honglan Shi; Adams, C; Ma, Y; Timmons, T. Oxidative removal and identification of degradation products of selected endocrine-disruptor and pharmaceuticals in drinking water treatment systems, Science of the Total Environment, 2012, 439,18-25.
- Witt, EC; Wronkiewicz, D; Pavlowsky, R.T; Honglan Shi. Trace metals in fugitive dust from unsurfaced roads in the Viburnum Trend resource mining District of Missouri—Implementation of a direct-suspension sampling methodology, Chemosphere, 2013, 92, 1506-1512.
Five Other Significant Products
- Honglan Shi, Ding, J; Timmons, T; Adams. C. pH effects on the adsorption of saxitoxin by powdered activated carbon, Harmful Algae, 2012, 19, 61-67.
- Honglan Shi; Adams, C. Occurrence and formation of trihalomethane in marine aquaria studied using solid phase microextraction gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, Water Environment Research, 2012, 84(3), 202-208.
- Mu, R; Honglan Shi; Yuan, Y; Karnjanapiboonwong, A; Burken, JG; Ma, Y. “A fast separation and quantification method for nitroguanidine and 2,4-dinitroanisole by ultra-fast liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, Analytical Cheimstry, 2012, 84, 3427−3432.
- Burton, C; Honglan Shi, Ma, Y. Simultaneous detection of dix urinary pteridines and creatinine by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry for clinical breast cancer cetection, Analytical Chemistry, 2013, 85(22), 11137-11145.
- Honglan Shi, Qiang, Z; Adams, C. Formation of haloacetic acids, halonitromethanes, bromate and iodate during chlorination and ozonation of seawater and saltwater of marine aquaria systems”, Chemosphere, 2013, 90:2485-2492.
D) Synergistic Activities
- Extensive operation, maintenances, troubleshooting, minor repair, and application skills in instrumentation techniques including ICP-MS, ICP-OES, GC, GC-MS, HPLC, LC-MS, HPCE, FT-IR, and atomic absorption spectrometry. Taught/trained many scholars and students for novel applications of these advanced techniques for research and other services.
- Serve as a reviewer of several journals.
- Serve as a reviewer of research proposal review.
E) Honors and Awards
- Dec 17, 2012 Faculty achievement award, Missouri S&T.
F) Collaborators and Other Affiliations
Craig Adams (Utah State University), Joe Burken (Missouri S&T), Evelyn Chamberlain, Xiaoliang Cheng (Lawrence Berkeley National Lab), Jie Ding (China), Bin Hua (Lincoln University), Enos Inniss (Missouri Univ.-Columbia), Xinhua Liang (Missouri S&T), Yinfa Ma (Missouri S&T), Paul Ki-souk Nam (Missouri S&T), Zhimin Qiang (Chinese Academy of Sciences), William V. Stoecker (The Dermatology Center, Stoecker & Associates), Tingzhi Su (Environ), Terry Timmons (Missouri Department of Natural Resource), Chuan Wang (Frontage Lab), Jianmin Wang (Missouri S&T), Tongwen Wang, Emitt Witt (USGS), David Wronkiewicz (Missouri S&T), John Yang (Lincoln University).
G) Graduate Advisors
Craig Adams, Utah State University (2007-2010)
Philip Whitefield, Missouri S&T (2007-2010)
James Olson, Iowa State University (1987-1990)
H) Thesis Advisor and Postgraduate sponsor
Current Ph.D. graduate students in my group: Total 3 (Yongbo Dan, Runmiao Xue, and Ariel Donovan)
Graduated MS students (complete): Total 2 (Yongbo Dan (2013, Jinyu Du, 2014)
Undergraduate students advised (Ariel Donovan and Casey Zimmerman)